The act to appreciate someone could be one of the most rewarding things anyone can do. The problem, however, is that this may not be as easy as it sounds. In this post “to appreciate” simply means understanding the nature and qualities of another person. It’s our ability to express and show gratitude to people around us and this can be done in various ways.
“We are often caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey especially the goodness of the people we meet on the way .Appreciation is a powerful feeling don’t overlook it”~ Thinkexit.
What Happens when you don’t show appreciation?
- You miss out on the extra good things in life. It sounds harsh but I think it’s true…because People around you may feel invalidated and gradually drift away.
- People may think you are arrogant
- People may think you don’t care about them
- People may think you are just plain selfish
No matter how independent some of us may or may not be ,we still at some point of our life will need support from somewhere.. For some it could be from family, our children, spouses, God, friends, other bloggers, colleagues, internet friends and many more.
So what are the reasons to show appreciation?
- You add value to the qualities of the the other person which will make them feel good and you should feel good for giving provided you are honest.
- You send out positive vibes and that person most certainly will remember you and reciprocate if they choose to.
- You make the other person’s day and they might just as well feel good being around or with you.
Tips – How to show appreciation.
This is the easier part of this post
- Know when to say thank you….. And say thank you!
- You don’t have to empty you bank account buying presents. No! give presents when the time calls for it or when you feel like.
- Let people know what you like or appreciate about them and don’t patronise them!
- Smile it does wonders to people around you.
- Be a good listener and if you think whatever the other person is saying is interesting appreciate it. On some occasions we have to learn to listen more and talk less. People generally like to be heard.
To show appreciation simply means just being as nice and honest as possible to people around you.. I generally belief that each one of us has at least one ,a few or alot of good qualities. So when I meet people I try to establish over a period of time what I feel is nice or good about them and 99% of the time I am able to find at least one quality. Now what this does for me is it allows me to appreciate them which produces a good feeling for me. You see….. Rather than thinking the worse things about people around you and developing headaches why not try looking for some good qualities in them at least for your own sanity! And remember sometimes we cannot choose the people we hang around day in day out i.e. work colleagues or family.
“Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it” ~ Ralph Marston .